Django Girls Organizer's Manual
Info This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
If you are reading this, it means you are interested in organizing your own Django Girls event. That's awesome!
In this manual we are going to explain to you how Django Girls works, what you need to do and how to get started. So... let's get into details:
What is Django Girls?
Django Girls is an initiative that is aimed at introducing women who have never coded before to the world of technology and increasing the diversity within the industry.
We do that by organizing workshops and inviting women to join us to learn how to build the internet using HTML, CSS, Python and Django in a safe, friendly, inclusive environment.
Our mission is to bring more women into the tech field by making technology more approachable, simpler and friendlier. We provide tools, resources and a community that makes it easier to learn about technology.
What is a Django Girls event?
A Django Girls event is a one-day workshop with an installation party the evening before or remotely via Google Hangout/Skype. During the whole day participants work in small groups (3 attendees + 1 coach) and go through the tutorial to successfully create a blog application and deploy it to the internet.
Django Girls events are always non-profit and free for participants. We do not pay coaches, speakers or organizers. Attendees don't need any previous knowledge about programming and there is no age limitation. All the attendees need is a laptop and some curiosity.
- Attendee's experience matters. When you're learning something new, it is common to get lost or discouraged because it's hard. That's why a helpful and friendly environment matters a lot to the learning experience. Make sure attendees feel like little children in Disneyland, excited to go on an adventure. It's all in the details.
- Everyone can do it. Technology is for people and everyone can be a creator. Show the bigger picture and encourage attendees to try new things.
- It's all about the people. People are the core of what we do. We create events that we would want to attend ourselves. Think about your attendees' experience, help them, be welcoming and make sure no one is lost. Be helpful and proactive. Smile, ask questions, make them feel awesome.
Using the Django Girls name
To use the Django Girls name for your workshop, your event needs to meet the following prerequisites:
- it needs to be free for participants (free of charge, application process open to everyone), and women will have preference in attending
- it has to be non-profit
- it has to be approved by the Django Girls Foundation, remember to contact us first! Details below.
To ensure the quality of each Django Girls workshop, and to support local infrastructure, volunteers and supporters from becoming overextended:
- applications should be placed a minimum of three months prior to the proposed workshop date to allow adequate time for planning
- the proposed workshop date should be at least 6 months after the previous workshop in that region
- applications should be made a minimum of 4 weeks following the previous workshop in that region, to ensure there is sufficient time to complete any follow up tasks before planning for the next workshop begins
- organisers should ensure they are only working on one workshop at a time, applying for multiple workshops will result in only one being approved
- in unique circumstances, we may allow exemptions from the above first two rules. Please contact "[email protected]" and let us know why running the event in the suggested timeframe is not an option for you.
If your planned event meets the prerequisites, you will need to follow these steps:
- read this manual
- apply to organize an event here
- wait for our response
We will create a website and e-mail account in our domain and you can start!
It is very important for us to know about all events that use the Django Girls name. Please make sure not to use it, unless you contacted us.
Learn what it takes to organize a Django Girls event.